I wonder what you’d like to know about your Synod Moderator? Here are a few facts about me:-
- I am a northerner being born and brought up in Rochdale, Lancashire (please no jokes from those aware of Mike Harding’s comic genius!)
- I have studied at two universities, namely Leeds and Manchester
- My background was in Chemistry before training for the ministry.
- I welcomed Christ into my life when I was fourteen years old; nothing dramatic but nevertheless life changing. I became a church member of Bamford Chapel URC when I was seventeen years old.
- I was ordained in 1988 and served two pastorates before being appointed Moderator. The first in the North Western Synod at Poulton-le-Fylde and Fleetwood and the second in this synod at Buxton and Tideswell.
- I am married to Deborah Baird, the Synod's Training and Development Officer.
- I have four children by my previous marriage to Tracey.
- My interests outside work are music – I play the guitar and get together with friends from time to time who also play (nothing spiritual as they are all atheists!); walking my two dogs and tropical marine fish keeping. I also belong to a “curry club”, which involves a group of friends experiencing a variety of Indian restaurants!
I greatly value serving you in the East Midlands Synod. It’s a great synod to work in. I am fully aware of the enormity of the task so will value your prayers for me and my family as I pray for all of you.
Revd Peter Meek