We are delighted to share a set of new resources for Advent 2020, several of them produced within East Midlands Synod. On this page you can view and download:
- A is for Adventure, Z is for Zoo: An Alphabet for Advent, a set of 26 wide-ranging reflections by Ohio-based friend of this Synod, the Revd Thom M. Shuman, in printable PDF form. Short videos of these passages, recited by a variety of readers from around the Synod, will be shared via our YouTube channel and Facebook Page daily from Advent Sunday until Christmas Eve.
- Advent Tableau, a devotional resource from Bulwell URC with 24 daily studies based on the discovery method, an opportunity to explore in greater depth the words of familiar carols and Bible readings
- Four reflections for use in Advent worship written by Mark Hodgson (EMS Lay Preaching Commissioner) including “In these dark days”, words for a carol service in lockdown
- An Advent and Christmas Smorgasbord of Useful Resources, a compendious listing of events and suggestions drawn together by Churches Together in Shire and Soke (Northamptonshire, Peterborough & Rutland)
- We Need to Talk about Christmas, a compilation of refreshing ideas to share the meaning of Advent and Christmas in church and community (despite Covid), assembled by the Yorkshire and Mersey Synods
Our sincere gratitude goes to all those who have so generously shared their work in this way.
Advent Reflections on John’s Prologue by four of the Milton Keynes Presidents
On each of the Sundays in Advent, one of the Milton Keynes Presidents – including our own Synod Moderator – will be sharing a video meditation with the Living Stone community in their online worship. Inspired by the URC’s Vision4Life materials, all four meditations are based on the opening chapter of John’s gospel.
ADVENT I (Sunday 29 November) – Bishop Alan
‘In the beginning was the word……’
truth perception integrity
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
ADVENT II (Sunday 6 December) – Revd Geoffrey Clarke
‘All things came into being through Him....’
seeing through the eyes of the creator
All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being.
ADVENT III (Sunday 13 December) – Revd Helen Cameron
‘The light shines …..’
darkness and lost hope
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
ADVENT IV (Sunday 20 December) – Bishop David
‘He came to what was His own….’
closed minds and hearts
He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him.